Sunday, March 1, 2015

Twerk Some Bigger: Native Son

      The introduction of Max as a character towards the end of Native Son was quite refreshing to me. I was sitting there and as I read the argument presented to the courtroom in attempt to save Bigger, my views on Bigger were swayed. I feel this is because Max was able to say things that Bigger himself said had confused him. He was able to basically sum up the entire argument one had based on Bigger throughout the book in some pages of the book. The justifications presented for Bigger's crimes were quite solid and very thoroughly explained. All the reasoning there could be is presented and is placed there for both the jury and readers to elaborate on. However, in the end I felt that he still indeed did do the crime (murdering anyway) and justice was served. Did he deserve the death penalty? Honestly, I would say so. Bigger Thomas is not a changed man. If he were to be given jail time and released, he'd go out and do more crimes. I find the whole theme of excuses very irritating as I read the book. Call me the bad guy or think whatever you want, but to me oppression should fuel determination not hatred and bitterness.
     I feel like Native Son was the best books we've read in English class as it brings up questions that we can all relate to and see in effect today. It had many plots twists that I was blind to and the end had me a bit confused, but still an interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment